Total donations: $10,159 CAD
$6,208 USD = $8,248.40 CAD + $1,911 sponsorship bonus donations from Patsy = $10,159.40 (exact amount TBD once conversion rates are calculated)
We reached $10,000 CAD🍁! Thank you.
Click here to watch the event (Unfortunately, the recording of the second third of the marathon did not fully record 😢) - Full Marathon YouTube Archive
I ended up falling asleep 😴 after 22h40m of gameplay and could not complete my 25 hour marathon. I however did raise a record amount and I am so close to $10,000 so I am making up my missing time and hoping I can get a few more donations and challenges to reach the $10K level. I am playing from Tue Oct 20, 10:30am till 12:50pm. Please donate!
Who am I
Welcome to Aaron Hui's Extra Life fundraising page. This year, I will be doing my 24-hour gaming marathon on Saturday, October 17, 2020 and it will be my 8th year doing this annual event. Once again, all donations of any amount on this website will be matched by at least $10. My #ExtraLifeChallenge donation bonuses will be making a return, as well additional bonus donations.
Dishonored 2 game banner featuring Emily Kaldwin (left) and Corvo Attano (right)
Due to COVID-19, BC Children’s Hospital Foundation was unable to raise as much as they hoped for in their signature events like Jeans Day, Race for the Kids, and Miracle Weekend. Extra Life is a fundraiser that should mostly avoid any issues caused by this pandemic. I’m really hoping I will be able to raise a record amount to make up for being under our target this year.
For 2020, I will be playing Dishonored 2. For those who have followed my past Extra Life fundraising, since the first year, I have played Dishonored before and I eventually finished the game during my 2017 Extra Life stream. I started Dishonored 2 back in 2018 and I hope to finish it this year. Please be advised that Dishonored 2 is a graphically violent game so viewer discretion is advised.
Please come back and visit this page on Saturday October 17 at 8 AM. My marathon will begin streaming from here and my YouTube channel at that time. Although most of my past Extra Life events have taken place on the official date of November 7, this year I am doing my marathon earlier for a few reasons. Last year, the official Extra Life website was attacked, which made the website inaccessible for a large portion of the event day. Hopefully, doing the event earlier would reduce the likelihood of encountering this problem. In addition, there is a limited prize incentive for the fundraisers who raise $5000. I am hoping to be one of the first 200 to do so to claim a prize incentive of this DXRacer gaming chair. Finally, last year Leanne did a great make-up session and outfit that would have been perfect for an event like Halloween. Holding my Extra Life marathon earlier in October will give me an opportunity to have something ready in time for this year's holiday. (More information on this year's themed outfit will be released closer to the event. Stay tuned!)
Spread the Word
Please help share this on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and Instagram. Patsy Hui will donate $1 for every Like ♥️ and $5 for every Share.* (For further details, see Social Media Donations below.) #ExtraLifeChallenge #ForTheKids #BCCHF
Only likes and shares of the linked posts below will count towards the bonus donations:
💰 Please donate by clicking on the donate button at the top of this page. Patsy Hui will donate an additional $10 for each unique donor.
You can choose between USD🗽 and CAD🍁 currencies when donating by credit card. PayPal only charges in USD.
There is an option to choose anonymous. However, if you do, I won't know who has donated. Please email me and let me know you made the anonymous donation which would be helpful to me.
Please note that the tax receipts are issued in the name specified for the Cardholder for credit card donations or under the PayPal account name if donated via PayPal.
Based on the amount you donate, you can challenge me to complete activities listed below. You may allocate your donation to multiple challenges. For example, if you donate $100 CAD, you may request one multiplayer match ($50), three Star Wars trivia questions (3 x $10 = $30) and add two dice to the Tower (2 x $10). The best way to send me the challenge is through the YouTube live chat during the event. However, when you make the donation, you can choose the option to send me a message where you can specify your challenges. You can also contact me via Skype (username: SurfWarrior), email or on Google Hangouts (aaronhui77 'at' gmail.com).
All prices below are in 🍁Canadian CAD🍁
- $10 – Dice Tower Challenge. I'll have a webcam set up on a tower of dice. For every $10 you can challenge me to add a dice to the tower. When the tower collapses, a matching $50 donation will be made for each time the tower collapses plus the resulting values on the collapsed dice will be added up as additional bonus donation dollars. The Extra Life logo on the 6-sided dice will be valued at $10 instead of $6. (See also: Challenge Bonuses). For $50, I will do a bonus dice and add six dice to the tower. Also new this year is that the first dice will be a 20-sided die!
A tower of Extra Life dice about to fall over
- $10 – Star Wars Trivia Challenge. Ask me a Star Wars trivia question. The question must be answerable based off Star Wars canon movie content and is easily verifiable (by a Google Search or quickly reviewing the movie), excluding credit information (no "Who is the actor that played Gold 5?" type questions, please). (See also: Challenge Bonuses)
- $10 – 🎲Let it Roll🎲 Challenge. (A good option if you don't have a preference.) I'll roll a six-sided die and do one of the following:
- 1 – One-handed. When playing, I will be restricted to using one hand while playing for two minutes. (See also: Challenge Bonuses)
- 2 – Pair-A-Dice. 🎲🎲 Two dice are added to the dice tower
- 3 – Backwards only. I will be restricted to backwards only movement for two minutes.
- 4 – Sideways only. In the game, I can only move side to side for two minutes.
- 5 – Lefty mode. For two minutes, I switch hands and use the mouse in my left hand and keyboard with the right hand.
- 6 – Critical Hit. $20 bonus donation made by Patsy and I re-roll the Dice Challenge.
- $20 – Try Not To Laugh Challenge. 🤣 You have two options for this challenge. You can send me a link to an online video. I'll watch the video up to 1 minute, and try not to laugh or smile. Or, you can Skype in live and try for 60 seconds to make me laugh or smile. (See also: Challenge Bonuses)
- $50 – Head-to-Head Challenge. 🎮 Challenge me to one of the head-to-head multiplayer video games. More details here. (See also: Challenge Bonuses)
- $50 – 💣Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes💥 Challenge. Skype in and help me defuse a bomb. (See also: Special Challenge Event)
- $100 – Sing A Song Challenge. I will sing an excerpt of a song of your choice for 1 minute. Please ensure there is nothing vulgar in the lyrics and has nothing controversial.
Please send me suggestions. I will continue to add and adjust this list.
Patsy Hui is once again sponsoring my Extra Life event and will make bonus donations if I succeed or fail specific challenges. Last year, we raised a bonus of $1,017 from these challenges that go directly to help support sick kids!
- $1 – Per kill/takedown during the two minute game challenge period from the Let it Roll challenge.
- $10 – Aaron fails to get a kill/takedown or gets killed during the two minute game challenge.
- $20 – Aaron fails a Star Wars trivia challenge.
- $20 – Aaron fails a Try Not To Laugh challenge.
- $50 – Aaron loses to a head-to-head multiplayer game.
- $50 – The Dice tower collapses. (It will be reset for additional rounds.)
- $75 – Successful bomb defusal. (*see Special Challenge Events)
More to come!
Special Challenge Events
💣Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes💥 Challenge. Donate $50 and you can choose this challenge. Viewers from the YouTube live stream can help me defuse the in-game "bomb." Anyone can also help by typing into the Live Chat or by Skyping or calling in. The bomb defusal manual is available at http://www.bombmanual.com.
The game parameters will be 8 minutes to defuse a bomb with 5 random modules. Needy modules and hardcore mode are off. If we are unsuccessful in defusing a bomb, $10 will be added to bonus donations for each module within the bomb that is successfully deactivated. So if we happen to complete 4 of the 5 modules, $40 will be added.
Dog Race Challenge. 🐕 If I reach the stretch goal of $3000. I will race my dog Mina around the park (Live Skype broadcast. Total distance 1.1km from my front gate and back). A bonus donation will be made based on how fast I run: Donation amount = 2^(time in minutes - 8)*100. So if I complete the race in 7 minutes, I donate $50, 8 minutes = $100, and 9 minutes = $200. 8m30s = $141.42, etc.
If I raise these amounts prior to the Saturday October 17, 8 AM before any of the bonus donations, then the following will be unlocked. These amounts are in CAD.
$3000 – Dog Race Challenge 🏁🏃♂️🐕 (Scheduled for 1:30pm)
$4000 – Dishonored cosplay/make-up session 💄 (Scheduled for approximately 9:30pm-10pm)
$5000 – 25 hours (1 bonus hour) 🕑
$6000 – Auction of Extra Life gaming chair for additional donation revenue*
*Availability of this chair is limited so I may not be able to claim this.
I am open to suggestions for more stretch goals.
Staff Free Parking
All staff who donate at least $10 will get at least one day of free parking. Click here for more information.
- 8:00 AM – I will start playing Dishonored 2 from where I left off
- 1:30 PM – Dog Race Challenge
- 9:30 PM – Dishonored Make-Over Cosplay session
I'll be doing challenges on demand and will take a break from my current game as soon as it is convenient.
Social Media Bonus Donations
*Social Media bonus donations will be capped as follows and cut off by midnight on Saturday, October 17th. The donation will be made post-event by Patsy Hui.
- Facebook Like – $1 each (maximum $200)
- Facebook Share – $5 each (maximum $500)
- Twitter Likes – $1 each (maximum $200)
- Twitter Retweets – $5 each (maximum $500)
- Reddit Upvotes – $1 each (maximum $100)
- Instagram likes – $1 each (maximum $100)
- How do I donate in Canadian Funds?
- If you use PayPal, the amount will be charged in USD. To be charged in CAD, you must select the credit card option and then you can choose the CAD option.
- When you choose CAD option, your credit card will be processed in CAD so you should not incur any foreign exchange fees.
- You'll see an option to cover processing costs. I recommend to keep this option unchecked. BC Children's Hospital will still get 100% of your donation whether or not you choose this option.
- If you choose the option to "cover processing costs," all it does is increase your donation value by 7%. You will receive a tax receipt for the full amount you were charged, and BC Children's Hospital Foundation will receive the full amount that you have donated.
- Ideally, please do not choose the anonymous option when you make a donation. If you did by mistake, please email me and mention when you made the donation so I can properly credit you with the donation. If you truly want to remain anonymous, by all means!
- The website fundraising total will count your donation in USD, so even though you made a $100 CAD donation, it would show up as a number around $76, although your credit card would be charged $100.00. Your tax receipt will be in the full CAD amount.
- How much total social media bonus donations can I earn?
- If you Like and Retweet my Twitter post, it would be worth a total of $6. You can potentially contribute $14 by sharing every social media post. Patsy Hui will make these bonus donations after the event.
- When do I get my tax receipt?
- Although you get an email confirmation and a valid US tax receipt immediately after making your donation, Canadian donors will receive a separate tax receipt which will be emailed out later in February 2021 for your donation.
- Can I combine my donation with a friend of mine to challenge you?
- No. You cannot combine your donation with another donor for the purposes of challenges.
- How much should I donate?
- The more the merrier! If you are unable to donate, you can still contribute by sharing the social media posts. Even if you donate only $1, an additional $10 will be made by Patsy Hui which would be a total of $11 going to help sick children. The bonus $10 donation does not count towards the challenge donation.
- How do you calculate the bonus to the Reddit social media bonus?
- Reddit posts can be upvoted and downvoted. If it has 5 upvotes and 2 downvotes, then it will have a score of 3. It gets a bit more complicated than that as Reddit does some fudging of the numbers. Also, I cannot see how many upvotes there are, rather I am provided with the percentage of upvotes, so I can use this formula to determine the upvotes from the total reddit score: upvotes = p*t/(2p-1). Also, I will refresh the reddit page 5 times and take the highest score.
- Can I Skype you during your Live Stream?
- For a minimum donation of $20, you may Skype in. Please make arrangements with me and send me a message through the YouTube chat first. Your webcam will be displayed on the Live stream. Please be courteous and keep it PG.
- What happens when the dice tower falls?
- I'll keep track each time it falls for any reason. At the end of the event, $50 will be donated by Patsy for each time it collapses. If you challenged me to stack multiple dice, and it has collapsed before I move them all, then a new tower will start so any remaining turns won't be wasted.
- I've already donated and I haven't sent you my challenge. Is it too late to do so?
- Not at all! You can contact me in the Live Stream during the event, or email me beforehand. If you want to witness it, it is best to message me through the live chat on YouTube. However, the broadcast will be archive if you want to view it later.
- Is your total raised on this webpage measured in CAD or USD?
- The website total shows in USD value, if I get a $100 CAD donation it will add about $75 to my fundraising page here. I will convert the USD back to CAD when calculating for the challenge bonuses. So if I see $37.50 USD donation, I'll assume you made a $50 donation and you can request a $50 challenge for me.